10/12/2016

Another older post

I found a second list of 'first's that I made in my early Blogger days.

When I was looking at the first list of things I had never done and thinking about things I never thought I would ever do in my life, I realized that the list has updated a bit since that post. Welcome to my world.
  • get excited to see Pepsi on the grocery store shelf
  • take my phone everywhere
  • bake fun treats
  • play Skip-Bo on a regular basis
  • consider (and actually get) our version of TiVo
  • search for brand names that I recognize from the US
  • never shop at Wally World
  • search unsuccessfully for popcorn to pop on the stovetop
  • see deer, alpaca and llama farms along the main roads
  • pay $100 to fill up the gas tank
  • see sea anemones
  • ponder insulation
  • cheer out loud when I heard Doritos are coming to NZ
  • enter local photo contests
  • wonder how old the tv shows are and smile to find out when one is less than two years old
  • drive a big station wagon
  • see lighthouses
  • have a bridge built for me
  • get excited to find something that tastes like hot dogs (frankfurters) and polish sausage (kranskies)
  • ride a gondola up a mountain
  • take an interest in the Maori language to see what town names mean
  • rarely leave the house without my camera
  • see ads on tv that I think are tacky and tasteless
  • buy fresh veggies every payday
  • make bottle rockets with vinegar and baking soda
  • experiment with 'exotic' cheeses while looking for a substitute for Meunster
  • have a clothes dryer hung upside down over the washer
  • call orange road cones 'rabbits'
  • see geysers and boiling mud up close and personal
  • eat Vegemite
  • see black swans, wild pukekos, waxeyes, kiwis, wild goats, fantails, tuis
  • be aware when American tv shows are on--as opposed to BBC or cable stations that are mostly through Australia

I'm sure there are more, but they are a part of who I am now and the line between 'then' and 'now' is quickly blurring.

8 comments:

Hetty said...

DearBetty, I always read your posts, but how little I understand of new Zealand! Sometimes it seeems your back in the fifties. Groetjes Hetty

Marja said...

I learned to play skip bo and recognise many more except the american things and haha I rarely leave the house without my camera in the weekends
In December we pass through your town one day I will email You

Toni said...

I so enjoyed reading your older post list. I love posting things like that for we get to learn more about each other. I feature a lot of things and memes on my blog. Thanks for sharing Betty. Have a lovely weekend.

diane b said...

An interesting list. NZ make some of the best modern films and TV shows.

Magdalena said...

Interesting list. Sometimes it's good to look back and see how much the world has changed.
Have a nice week.
Magdalena

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

Fun post and a great idea. It's amazing just how much things have changed!

Amy Johnson said...

I think the most shocking one is paying $100 to fill up your tank. Wow! How can anyone afford that?

Unknown said...

Thank you so very much for giving permission. You can see your linked header under All, Daily Life and New Zealand. I had not actually asked you about Photographing New Zealand yet (I should have) but I assumed that it would be all right to display its linked header. You can see it under All, Daily Life, Land/Sea/Skyscapes, Photography and New Zealand, If you could say something (preferably good) about SiteHoundSniffs.com here and there, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have not seen my reply to you about the outdated sites, there are several listed because we feel that the value of their content (in one way or another) remains. All sites taken down or private are removed as soon as I find out.