10/16/2012

A lifetime commitment

Stratford has several parks in town and one of them has a pond where people feed the ducks on a regular basis. In fact, this pond was one of the first places that Hubby showed me when I got to New Zealand.

In the 6 years that I have been here and visited the pond, there is always just one white goose among the ducks. I've seen a pair of white ducks on occasion, but never more than the one lonely goose.



I know that geese mate for life and I guess Goosy has lost his/her partner along the way. But that hasn't deterred him/her from another mate of sorts because Goosy has found a duck as a constant companion. They always swim together. You can tell they are together because the goose will protect the duck from any and all intruders.

I find much solace in this simple observation at the duck pond.

I suppose this could be a life lesson for all of us who would pay attention. If you are willing to take a chance, a true friend doesn't have to look like you.

10 comments:

SeaThreePeeO said...

How lovely that two different specie4s of waterfowl could find love together. I think us humans could really learn a lot from them.

Herding Cats

Gerald (SK14) said...

ah that is really nice

Anita said...

The older I get, the more I love animals. Your story makes them seem almost human. :)

Stephanie said...

What a sweet picture :) Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a kind comment - I greatly appreciate it! Your photos are beautiful!

Blessings to you,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

when I was living in Ireland we had a field close to home, there were at least 50 ducks quacking there, people were feeding them bread, very funny sight.. there was even a road sign for the cars, to slow down and avoid the duckies if they were taking a stroll..

Liz said...

What a great post. I miss my chooks. Geese not so keen on. A friend of mine has a whole flock of them mixed in with ducks, chooks and pheasants. They make a great photo too!

Love the photos!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That is absolutely true. The world wold be a MUCH better place if we didn't judge people by their looks, or skin color. Thanks for your visit!!!

Nature Rambles said...

I couldn't agree with you more. What an endearing story...and I'm glad you stopped by my. Thanks!:)

Karen said...

A beautiful post! Thank you.

Bernideen said...

I so enjoyed this story - pretty duckies!