11/16/2010

The truth about bacon

As a young 'un, the older generations of my family always served bacon with eggs, biscuits and gravy when we had large family breakfast occasions (like early-morning arrivals from out-of-town). They served lots of bacon. There was usually bacon left to nibble on when the meal was over.

I like bacon. I also like breakfast sausage with my eggs, sometimes. And a slice of nice smoked ham is good, too. But, the men in my life have always preferred bacon. They politely said 'No' when I suggested sausage patties or links. They just wanted bacon. I always thought it was because were stuck in a rut, but the fact of the matter is that they just want bacon. Period. Don't try to change their minds. Bacon is what holds male testosterone together.

Never would I have though that bacon was such a dramatic food until I moved to NZ. No, NZ bacon is not the same as American bacon. It gives me a headache trying to figure out how to explain it all, so if your world only included one type of bacon, click this link to see what I mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon .

And with the bacon all figured out, I have tried to introduce actual ham to my new family. Hubby is always on board with different food, since he figured out I  know my way around the kitchen, and will enjoy just about anything I put in front of him.Except spinach, but that's another story....

The kids, on the other hand, are...well, I'm just glad that they don't pay much attention to things. Apparently, they decided they didn't like 'ham' at some point because they think all ham is 'pressed  ham' (I think that's what they mean), so I just serve them ham and let them assume it's bacon. That keeps everybody happy. And I don't have get a headache worrying about what kind of bacon to buy.

Bacon. What would the world be without it?

2 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We used to watch the Simpsons (wait, do you get that on NZ TV, I forget.) If you don't just delete this comment b/c it won't mean anything.) I can just hear Homer roar "BAAAACON!" --

Vanessa Rogers said...

Bacon makes everything better doesn't it!!