11/18/2010

I suck at procrastination

I get livid with Hubby sometimes because he's a procrastinator. I don't say anything because it's not ever really important that he do those particular things right away. Nobody will die if he doesn't and we won't have to move or anything. It's just that I am the type to do things 'now' so you don't have to worry about them later. They will be be done and you don't have to think about them any more. I try to get this through to the kids, but they don't seem to be enthused about any sort of 'work'.

I just realized that my 'do it now' attitude might border on compulsion. Or might be a step across the line of being a compulsion. Here's the story, you decided.

I was putting away the dishes from the drainer when I notice that there were a few dirty dishes on the counter. Among them was a large cookie sheet that I had used to bake some potato wedges. I think to myself, 'Self, if you wash the cookie sheet, the counter will not look 'dirty' in the morning when you get up.' So I wash the cookie sheet.

Then I notice that both of the cups that Hubby uses for coffee were dirty. I think to myself, 'Self, if you wash one of them, Hubby will have a clean cup when he gets home from work in the morning. He would like that.' So I wash one of the cups.

Then I think to myself, 'Self, there are just a few dishes left, so you may as well wash them all and be done with it and the kitchen will be clean when  you come in for morning coffee.'

Yes, I did all the dishes. I suck at procrastination.

3 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

I would have done the same..... Why put off 'til tomorrow what can be done today? Probably isl compulsive but has been essential in my work and in raisuing four children too so I am not going to fight it, but learning to relax occasionally now too :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I think it's a law that every marriage has to have one procrstinator and one do it now person. Must be true in NZ too ;>)

Glynis said...

I admit that I too do not like to wake up to a dirty kitchen and will do the dishes before I go to sleep but those dishes might have been waiting in the sink for me since breakfast.