9/05/2009

Fruit Cocktail Cake

I like to bake. I love pound cake. But, I know that the family deserves a bit of variety, so I have been experimenting with new recipes. I found this one that has no butter or oil in it. It is super-easy and it turned out great!

Fruit Cocktail Cake

1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups fruit cocktail, including juice (it's called fruit salad here)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired

Mix all ingredients, except nuts, well.
Pour into ungreased pan.
Sprinkle nuts on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes, depending on oven.


I doubled the recipe for an 9 x 13 inch pan.




I frosted this cake with my own cream cheese icing concoction.

8 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla icing
1 teaspoon orange flavoring
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
2 cups powdered sugar (or enough to make icing spreadable)

Mix together, ice cake. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Marja said...

yam thanks for the recipe

Juli said...

Yum. This sounds good. I might experiment with an egg-free version (with oil and bananas). And dairy-free icing...

LadyFi said...

Sounds delicious!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I must try this, Once a term in school, we have "munchies" when we take somehting for morning tea. This sounds very interesting.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Would it work with fresh fruits like apples and pears/

Once I googled and made pear cakes. They all said was very nice.

Sallie said...

Oh yum! I used to make this cake (or a similar version) when we had a houseful of teenagers. Had totally forgotten about it. Now I simply have got to make it again. So, just the two of us will probably eat it all. Oh well, fruit cocktail is good for you right? Your frosting recipe sounds wonderful, I didn't used to add that. But now I will.

S